Need Opinions on vintage Citizen Bullhead - Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
borgsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 499
Points: 19 (+)
Default Need Opinions on vintage Citizen Bullhead

Okay so this is a new territory for me. And although I've been reading up on these considerably, I got the feeling that I have to ask here first before sealing the deal. What do you guys think?

Edit: also something that's caught my attention is the faux day/date subdial. From what I've seen online I have yet to see one with such a jagged edge.



Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by borgsauce; 08-07-2019 at 11:38 AM.
borgsauce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 139
Points: 6 (+)
Default

Aftermarket dial and wrong hands, subdial and chrono hands *might* be ok. Incorrect crown, overpolished case. Crystal probably aftermarket as well. Skip.

It is getting hard to get a proper bullhead these day, I eventually got three to assemble a proper one. One had a original bracelet, second one had a proper crystal and unpolished case, and third one had an original dial and hands. Good luck!
Riba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
borgsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 499
Points: 19 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riba View Post
Aftermarket dial and wrong hands, subdial and chrono hands *might* be ok. Incorrect crown, overpolished case. Crystal probably aftermarket as well. Skip.

It is getting hard to get a proper bullhead these day, I eventually got three to assemble a proper one. One had a original bracelet, second one had a proper crystal and unpolished case, and third one had an original dial and hands. Good luck!
Thanks for your input. Could please post some pictures of your watch so I'll know what indicators to look out for?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
borgsauce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bloody watches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Brisbane Australia - currently
Posts: 636
Points: 20 (+)
Default

Jump on to the sweephand site he has fantastic reference material
https://sweep-hand.org/
__________________
I wish I had something really funny to put here
bloody watches is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 139
Points: 6 (+)
Default

As bloody watches said - you will find a lot of bullhead specific info there. In the mean time I can show you two of my specimens and what to look for. Due to the shape of the bullhead, it is not easy to spot a polishing job, but there is a way.

Check the attached photo and pay attention to the lugs. The one on the top is not polished and this is how untouched one should look like. The one below is polished.

Dial is a bit trickier, but there are small things that will tell them apart. In my case, you can immediately notice how the fake one to the right is missing the subtle sunburst effect. You will find many more info on sweep hand page, but the "lug test" will eliminate a large part of them even before you get to the dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg citizenbullhead2.jpg (150.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg citizenbullhead1.JPG (265.9 KB, 21 views)
Riba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
borgsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 499
Points: 19 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody watches View Post
Jump on to the sweephand site he has fantastic reference material
https://sweep-hand.org/
Thanks, I had actually checked that website out earlier and reached out to Stephen who was kind enough to see the pictures. Well the response was not what i was hoping for but i was expecting it. Seller wasnt too reluctant after I pointed out all that was wrong with the watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riba View Post
As bloody watches said - you will find a lot of bullhead specific info there. In the mean time I can show you two of my specimens and what to look for. Due to the shape of the bullhead, it is not easy to spot a polishing job, but there is a way.

Check the attached photo and pay attention to the lugs. The one on the top is not polished and this is how untouched one should look like. The one below is polished.

Dial is a bit trickier, but there are small things that will tell them apart. In my case, you can immediately notice how the fake one to the right is missing the subtle sunburst effect. You will find many more info on sweep hand page, but the "lug test" will eliminate a large part of them even before you get to the dial.
i can see what you mean about the lugs, thats a huge chunk of the steel stripped away. I wonder what low grit sandpaper must've been used.
And speaking of AM dial ive been checking out ebay for any AM dial and almost all of them are obviously AM without a second glance. But this one in particular is just too strange or just a really well made AM dial. I guess ill never know.

This is the second time ive attempted to acquire a Bullhead and each time i get dissuaded.
borgsauce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2019, 03:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 139
Points: 6 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgsauce View Post
This is the second time ive attempted to acquire a Bullhead and each time i get dissuaded.
I guess not being stainless steel the material is softer and polishing will quickly remove it. Looking from the front it is very had to spot the polishing job but the lugs give it away when you have a reference picture.

Yes, some aftermarket dials are very well made. To be honest I would accept a good aftermarket dial if it was clearly stated as such and priced accordingly.

Ba patient, you can find a good one but it is a minefield out there. Lot of them are being offered but very few in original condition. As mentioned before, I had to get three to put together a proper one. As a bit of encouragement it is one of my favorite pieces ever and once you find one you will be happy.

The saddest thing was the one which would have been fairly good if whoever changed the crystal did not use any random glue they found which completely ruined the original dial (lacquer literally peeled and flaked off).
Riba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following Member Awarded A Point to Riba For This Useful Post:
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.