6349 versus 6309 - Page 2 - Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
Moderator
 
ivorbiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: in the dog house
Posts: 1,983
Points: 67 (+)
Default

In my service days hacking was a must.
On many occasions while out on manouvers with the 1st batallion of the Kings own Booziliers we encoutered many wayward publicans calling time several seconds too early.
Might not sound much to you guys, but thats the difference between another pint and a Whisky chaser, and the chance to join the SBS. (Slur Belch and Stagger)
ivorbiggin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
borgsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 735
Points: 33 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilled Fluids View Post
The second and third wheels have Diafix jeweling instead of bushings to bring the total up to 21 jewels. There are 2 more which I forget their location which brings the total for the 6349 up to 23 jewels.
The 6319 is at 21 jewels and is also a great movement for swapping into a 6309.

Most of the 6349 watches were distributed in the far East aka humid climates and have long since become piles of rust.

Most of India is a lot drier so that is where we see most of these watches coming from. Fortunately, the Indian puppy mil for watches concentrates on making the outside look beautiful(to their tastes anyway) and only touch the workings if they don't run.

If you don't care what the outside of a watch looks like then the Mumbai specials are often a good source for movements.
Thanks for clarifying that, which brings me to my next question. I often see most of the issues during servicing is with mainspring arbor ports and perhaps the loose rotors. Is it a common issue to have worn out bushings for the second and third wheel in your experience? I guess what im trying to get at is, will it really matter in the next 20-30 years if most of them would have survived thus far?
borgsauce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Spilled Fluids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 808
Points: 45 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgsauce View Post
Thanks for clarifying that, which brings me to my next question. I often see most of the issues during servicing is with mainspring arbor ports and perhaps the loose rotors. Is it a common issue to have worn out bushings for the second and third wheel in your experience? I guess what im trying to get at is, will it really matter in the next 20-30 years if most of them would have survived thus far?
The only times I've seen excessive wear is when the movements have been in continuous use with no servicing. So, the issue is not so much about wear as about lower friction.
__________________
______________________________________________
Wear your water resistant watch where others fear to swim!
Spilled Fluids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following Member Awarded A Point to Spilled Fluids For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Moderator
 
ivorbiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: in the dog house
Posts: 1,983
Points: 67 (+)
Default

Its not about worn bushings on the second and third wheel's , Diafix reduces the side thrust friction allowing better positional accuracy because the pinnion runs on the cap stone.
The 6349 also has a jewel bearing at the lower mainspring arbour port which helps reduce side thust at the mainplate arbour port.
In short you should get better accuracy from a 6349 and less tendancy for the arbour ports to wear oval.
All subject to the correct servicing regime of course.
ivorbiggin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following Member Awarded A Point to ivorbiggin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
borgsauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 735
Points: 33 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilled Fluids View Post
The only times I've seen excessive wear is when the movements have been in continuous use with no servicing. So, the issue is not so much about wear as about lower friction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorbiggin View Post
Its not about worn bushings on the second and third wheel's , Diafix reduces the side thrust friction allowing better positional accuracy because the pinnion runs on the cap stone.
The 6349 also has a jewel bearing at the lower mainspring arbour port which helps reduce side thust at the mainplate arbour port.
In short you should get better accuracy from a 6349 and less tendancy for the arbour ports to wear oval.
All subject to the correct servicing regime of course.
So less friction from lateral force leading to much more efficiency and as an added bonus less wear. Got it! Also as a bonus you get jeweled lower arbor port. Why isn't the 6349 making headlines?! Lol. Thanks again guys good info, time to harvest.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
borgsauce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 215
Points: 8 (+)
Default

Beware of the Mumbai specials. Many are a 6309 with a 6349 marked bridge. 1 of the 5 I purchased was actually a 6349. I think I got another real one from Ramon but got a few duds there too.
bk_lake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following Member Awarded A Point to bk_lake For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 11:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Spilled Fluids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 808
Points: 45 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_lake View Post
Beware of the Mumbai specials. Many are a 6309 with a 6349 marked bridge. 1 of the 5 I purchased was actually a 6349. I think I got another real one from Ramon but got a few duds there too.
Yep, they are easy to spot. The bridges are shiny and new looking with etched text instead of stamped text.
__________________
______________________________________________
Wear your water resistant watch where others fear to swim!
Spilled Fluids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ramrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: syracuse....err, durham
Posts: 357
Points: 2 (+)
Default

[QUOTE=Spilled Fluids;2805999]It is a direct swap. The only thing that you might have to take care of is the day/date wheels because of a different crown position that the 6349 watch had.

Just a warning if you intend to start swapping other parts...don't because there are more and different types of jewels in the 6349 as well as different shaped/length staff pinions.


do you know if the mainsprings are interchangeable?
ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2019, 08:32 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Spilled Fluids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 808
Points: 45 (+)
Default

[quote=ramrod;2843531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilled Fluids View Post
It is a direct swap. The only thing that you might have to take care of is the day/date wheels because of a different crown position that the 6349 watch had.

Just a warning if you intend to start swapping other parts...don't because there are more and different types of jewels in the 6349 as well as different shaped/length staff pinions.


do you know if the mainsprings are interchangeable?
Should be. I don't remember seeing a jewel for the arbor on the barrel which neither the 6309 or 6319 have.
__________________
______________________________________________
Wear your water resistant watch where others fear to swim!
Spilled Fluids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #35 (permalink)
Moderator
 
ivorbiggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: in the dog house
Posts: 1,983
Points: 67 (+)
Default

[quote=ramrod;2843531]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilled Fluids View Post
It is a direct swap. The only thing that you might have to take care of is the day/date wheels because of a different crown position that the 6349 watch had.

Just a warning if you intend to start swapping other parts...don't because there are more and different types of jewels in the 6349 as well as different shaped/length staff pinions.


do you know if the mainsprings are interchangeable?

6309 and 6349 have the same part numbers for the mainspring and arbour, so yes they interchange. In fact i think i used a 6309 M/S & barell on this 6349 i built last year.

WP_20170618_20_11_20_Pro.jpg
ivorbiggin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 05:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Spilled Fluids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 808
Points: 45 (+)
Default

[quote=ivorbiggin;2843895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramrod View Post


6309 and 6349 have the same part numbers for the mainspring and arbour, so yes they interchange. In fact i think i used a 6309 M/S & barell on this 6349 i built last year.

Attachment 428649
Thanks Ivor, good to know
__________________
______________________________________________
Wear your water resistant watch where others fear to swim!
Spilled Fluids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.