Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum  Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading

Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading (https://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php)
-   THE JAPANESE WATCH DISCUSSION FORUM (https://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/)
-   -   service dial query (https://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/331399-service-dial-query.html)

Thesharkman 08-06-2019 08:20 PM

service dial query
 
i know that the the 6309s have been long discontinued. often times i've seen NOS hand sets as well as bezel inserts among the many parts i've tried to find, but i've never seen a service dial for sale. were there no dials that seiko had available to fit onto a watch that they may have serviced to go along with all the NOS hand sets that i've seen floating around after the end of the run? these dials would have strong or better than normal lume strength than originally fitted 6309 dials of course.

just wondering aloud.....

<* shark >>><

GuyJ 08-06-2019 08:56 PM

I've had two packaged NOS dials, one not so NOS but still great. One HK dial and the other Suwa iirc. Both didn't have much lume energy left, but the HK 6309 I wear and the later MT dial I had (and hope to buy back soon) have still quite bright lume (dies very quick tho). Possibly the packaged ones, or at least one, were used on a watch and maybe swapped out. Or just were earlier examples and so behaved as you might expect.

I'm sceptical the NOS handsets are not just 7S26 handsets that have had the same part numbers as original 6309 handsets for whatever reason. All glow like an SKX. None of them are "flat" but more rounded, where some 6309s have a more 7548 type look to the hands. I've never seen a set of hands for the 6309 or 6306 in packets like say a 6105 seconds hand would be in...and surely they would have been similarly packed? Not like the more modern looking blister packs they come in.

Rotating rings I've had a few and they match up as you would expect and have the packaging to go with it. Except there was a re-release of the 6309 rotating ring in a white packet and it had more of a 7002 type of machining to the outside, but it fit the 6309 and had the same part number.

Katgirl 08-06-2019 09:28 PM

I have noticed that on eBay there are only after-market dials from the Philippines or used dials, most of which are non-beveled. You can probably find a correct used dial, if you search for several days. Good luck.

Kat



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

borgsauce 08-06-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katgirl (Post 2806007)
You can probably find a correct used dial, if you search for several days.

I've been at it for several months now looking for a decent used dial..and all I've been getting, resembles very little of what it use to be. I think I need to expand my search parameters.




Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

seikozen 08-06-2019 11:29 PM

NOS 6309-7040 Dial In Seiko Case
 
4 Attachment(s)
Hi about 12 years ago I was able to source this dial from Pete K in AU a Seiko parts Rep for many years in Half of AU also a Great watchmaker.

seikozen 08-06-2019 11:41 PM

OEM 6309-704x hands
 
1 Attachment(s)
These are as far as I can tell OEM hands They were always with a Full set Flat Min hand and Proper Full bodied sec hands Unlike the NOS 6309 dials I have were the Lime is Bright but Dies quickly as Guy described These hands have a Lume that lasts but not that long. Very Nice I was just talking to JB about a NOS 6309 Sec hand he sent me LONG time ago She is still in her little box SAVED:)

seikozen 08-06-2019 11:48 PM

Some Used 6309 Dials
 
1 Attachment(s)
I have been saving these dials for a while, really have not needed any yet, luckily the 6309 collection I have all are with good dials/and hands But I have OEM Cases, & NOS Mvts So I have held on to them Thinking they would be needed to Finish the 6309s. Im not sure I can source the Rest of the Parts ? so they stay for now.

TheTigerUK 08-07-2019 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thesharkman (Post 2805981)
i know that the the 6309s have been long discontinued. often times i've seen NOS hand sets as well as bezel inserts among the many parts i've tried to find, but i've never seen a service dial for sale. were there no dials that seiko had available to fit onto a watch that they may have serviced to go along with all the NOS hand sets that i've seen floating around after the end of the run? these dials would have strong or better than normal lume strength than originally fitted 6309 dials of course.

just wondering aloud.....

<* shark >>><

As far as I know OEM bezel inserts where never sold only complete bezels ?

GuyJ 08-07-2019 05:18 AM

Thanks for sharing the pictures seikozen. Nice!

SeikoPsycho2 08-07-2019 07:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Larry,
As you probably know, I've been collecting Seiko parts for over 10 years. Ever since a Wise "old" WIS mentioned "It's all about Spares"....:)
I search for parts on a daily basis. I will have to say I haven't seen many nos 6309-704x dials come up for sale. They are few and far between but they can be found.

TheTigerUK 08-07-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeikoPsycho2 (Post 2806173)
Larry,
As you probably know, I've been collecting Seiko parts for over 10 years. Ever since a Wise "old" WIS mentioned "It's all about Spares"....:)
I search for parts on a daily basis. I will have to say I haven't seen many nos 6309-704x dials come up for sale. They are few and far between but they can be found.

Very nice Tom, I bet a NOS OEM dial is worth almost as much as a complete watch :)

GuyJ 08-07-2019 09:26 AM

They look great....

SeikoPsycho2 08-07-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTigerUK (Post 2806185)
Very nice Tom, I bet a NOS OEM dial is worth almost as much as a complete watch :)


I don't know John, but you could be right. These are all Suwu dials which seem to be more sought after. Since prices have been soaring on Seiko dive watches here lately, my though was to restore some modded 6309's I have on hand.

SeikoPsycho2 08-07-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyJ (Post 2806195)
They look great....


Thanks Guy!

Thesharkman 08-07-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seikozen (Post 2806041)
Hi about 12 years ago I was able to source this dial from Pete K in AU a Seiko parts Rep for many years in Half of AU also a Great watchmaker.

that's the sort of dial i am referring to. i'll just have to look harder i guess!

<* shark >>><

Thesharkman 08-07-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeikoPsycho2 (Post 2806173)
Larry,
As you probably know, I've been collecting Seiko parts for over 10 years. Ever since a Wise "old" WIS mentioned "It's all about Spares"....:)
I search for parts on a daily basis. I will have to say I haven't seen many nos 6309-704x dials come up for sale. They are few and far between but they can be found.

you're killin' me tom...LOL. =\

<* shark >>><

SeikoPsycho2 08-07-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thesharkman (Post 2806395)
you're killin' me tom...LOL. =\

<* shark >>><


Hey, we're Buddies and your holding that Sunrise for me............;)

Grammarofdesign 08-07-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTigerUK (Post 2806185)
Very nice Tom, I bet a NOS OEM dial is worth almost as much as a complete watch :)

Not sure that statement holds up mathematically.

TheTigerUK 08-07-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grammarofdesign (Post 2806469)
Not sure that statement holds up mathematically.

Depends how much the watch is Jon, i've bought them for $10, $50 and upwards :)

SeikoPsycho2 08-07-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grammarofdesign (Post 2806469)
Not sure that statement holds up mathematically.


I guess that would boil down to who wants it, how bad they want it, and if it was for a special watch with sentimental value..............:)

Grammarofdesign 08-07-2019 08:44 PM

Tiger, If the subject is a 6309 diver, I stand by my position that you're not going to get as much for an NOS dial as a whole watch (unless of course said comparative watch is a ship wreck.)

And your offer to me on my NOS dial today proved that.
:ohmy:

Grammarofdesign 08-07-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeikoPsycho2 (Post 2806555)
I guess that would boil down to who wants it, how bad they want it, and if it was for a special watch with sentimental value..............:)

Tom your 4 NOS Suwa dials in that photo are worth a lot !

But not $3,000 = 4 x $750-ish per 6309 using John's price guide !

SeikoPsycho2 08-07-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grammarofdesign (Post 2806565)
If the subject is a 6309 diver, I stand by my position that you're not going to get as much for an NOS dial as a whole watch (unless of course said comparative watch is a ship wreck.)

And your offer to me on my NOS dial today proved that.


I would have to assume your talking to John??


You did pretty well on the one you sold Jon. At least the waters have been tested and I didn't even have to get my feet wet.........:)

TheTigerUK 08-07-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grammarofdesign (Post 2806565)
Tiger, If the subject is a 6309 diver, I stand by my position that you're not going to get as much for an NOS dial as a whole watch (unless of course said comparative watch is a ship wreck.)

And your offer to me on my NOS dial today proved that.
:ohmy:

Well if you sold it for $200 Jon as you hoped for then I bet theres a few guys on here who have bought whole 6309s for that amount or less this year ?

I started the bidding at $100 and i've bought a few 6309 dogs for less than that which often needed a dial, NOS one even :)

Grammarofdesign 08-07-2019 09:11 PM

Well, any 6309 selling under $200 is a special case, i.e. not in good shape somehow.

Anyway not to beat a dead horse I'll stop myself. Point taken and hopefully point made.

This is all Larry's fault. :ohmy:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.