Stem & crown question - Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum – Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 370
Points: 6 (+)
Default Stem & crown question

I received my Orient Triton today and I removed the caseback, the stem and the movement to clean inside the crystal. No problem there but I don’t have the rodico clay handy to do a good job. Any I noticed the stem that attached to the crown is not straight and upon closer looked I noticed it looks like a ball joint type of connection between the crown and the stem. This explains why when the crown pulled out all the way it is wobbling. So is this normal for this type of stem and crown connection?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Chhon; 03-26-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Chhon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-26-2019, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Spilled Fluids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 610
Points: 26 (+)
Default

I would say that is unacceptable for a Seiko product of this caliber!


Having seen this before on AM parts, I have to wonder if this is a brand new watch and all original
Spilled Fluids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 2,554
Points: 36 (+)
Default

Yes. There are Seiko models that have that arrangement but the crown normally doesn't move much in relation to the stem.


If it works ok that's fine
__________________
Paul ;-)
nzwatchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-27-2019, 07:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 370
Points: 6 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzwatchdoctor View Post
Yes. There are Seiko models that have that arrangement but the crown normally doesn't move much in relation to the stem.


If it works ok that's fine


Ok. Is it ok to remove the stem from the crown ? Do you think the stem is screwed in or pressured fit on the crown


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chhon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 370
Points: 6 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilled Fluids View Post
I would say that is unacceptable for a Seiko product of this caliber!


Having seen this before on AM parts, I have to wonder if this is a brand new watch and all original

It is orient triton watch and very lightly used.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chhon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Saul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,316
Points: 24 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhon View Post
It is orient triton watch and very lightly used.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orient is a wholly owned subsidiary of Seiko as of 2009. The inference is that the QC should be Seiko standard. This of course gives rise perhaps to an unintended ironic poke at Seiko QC, a topic of ongoing debate.
__________________

hi, my name is Saul and I'm a Seikoholic...
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 370
Points: 6 (+)
Default

Another question. When the crown is unscrewed it popped out. It has a spring like action when pushing the on the crown. Does the spring is embedded inside the shaft of the crown as shown here with the arrow?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chhon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 696
Points: 31 (+)
Default

Yes spring is in there.

That is too much play.

Stem should be screwed in, as i can see threads on the stem. On seikos with 1 piece combo stem/crown you don’t see any threading at all.
Acidstain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zeke441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Tennessee USA
Posts: 2,976
Points: 261 (+)
Default

There is a spring inside the shaft that enables the crown to push in and out as to not turn the hands or day/date when the crown is screwed in or out. It should have some play so the stem doesn't break. The pic looks like the shaft may be a little worn. I wouldn't be too concerned as long as everything stays attached and works the functions as it should.
__________________
"A man that wears a watch shows that being on time is important"
Pops - 1979 when he gave me my 1st real watch.

Seiko Saviors
zeke441 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 370
Points: 6 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke441 View Post
There is a spring inside the shaft that enables the crown to push in and out as to not turn the hands or day/date when the crown is screwed in or out. It should have some play so the stem doesn't break. The pic looks like the shaft may be a little worn. I wouldn't be too concerned as long as everything stays attached and works the functions as it should.


Ok thanks. My SUMO doesn’t have this crown wobbling that is why I am kind of concern. There are a lot of Orient Triton owners have this issue. Anyway, if there is a point that the issue will get a lot worse, the whole crown and stem assembly need to replace or can you just replace either the crown or stem?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chhon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DonJ53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,081
Points: 110 (+)
Default

Do you envisage moving into movement servicing ?
DonJ53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 370
Points: 6 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJ53 View Post
Do you envisage moving into movement servicing ?

Doing it myself or have the watch maker do it? Definitely I wouldn’t do it myself because I don’t want to invest in the tools and equipments. Probably have the watch maker do it but not anytime soon unless the watch is doing crazy things.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chhon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 12:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Spilled Fluids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 610
Points: 26 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhon View Post
Ok. Is it ok to remove the stem from the crown ? Do you think the stem is screwed in or pressured fit on the crown


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The barrel that holds the spring is screwed into the crown. I have found that when they get this loose, unscrewing the crown often destroys the plunger inside the tube and then it becomes very difficult to remove. Also, the crown will no longer set the time or date; it just spins.


You best option is to find a new assembly and replace it. Leave the old one alone until it breaks completely; no need to accelerate it.
Spilled Fluids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following Member Awarded A Point to Spilled Fluids For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 370
Points: 6 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilled Fluids View Post
The barrel that holds the spring is screwed into the crown. I have found that when they get this loose, unscrewing the crown often destroys the plunger inside the tube and then it becomes very difficult to remove. Also, the crown will no longer set the time or date; it just spins.


You best option is to find a new assembly and replace it. Leave the old one alone until it breaks completely; no need to accelerate it.

Ok thank. I take your advice. Orient Watch parts are not easily available on eBay and Orient Watches USA wouldn’t sale you the parts. The watch needs to be shipped to their service center for any repair. This why not too many watch enthusiasts or hobbyists want to own their watches?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chhon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Spilled Fluids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 610
Points: 26 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhon View Post
Ok thank. I take your advice. Orient Watch parts are not easily available on eBay and Orient Watches USA wouldn’t sale you the parts. The watch needs to be shipped to their service center for any repair. This why not too many watch enthusiasts or hobbyists want to own their watches?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is more about brand recognition and styling than parts availability.
There are many Seiko watches that you can't buy parts for and have to send back to Japan for work.
Spilled Fluids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 02:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twall3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,551
Points: 51 (+)
Default

I remember reading that on Vostok Amphibias, a wobbly crown was actually an intended design feature - to make it easier to set the time with diving gloves on, and without accidentally damaging the stem from rough handling.



I'll agree that the play on your Orient crown looks extreme, but could be that a little play was intended?
twall3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 370
Points: 6 (+)
Default Stem & crown question

Quote:
Originally Posted by twall3 View Post
I remember reading that on Vostok Amphibias, a wobbly crown was actually an intended design feature - to make it easier to set the time with diving gloves on, and without accidentally damaging the stem from rough handling.



I'll agree that the play on your Orient crown looks extreme, but could be that a little play was intended?


Hopefully that is the case. I will find soon if this looks and has similar characteristics because I purchased another cheap lightly used Orient Triton with different bezel and hands color. Here they are:

$167 Gold/Silver


$220 Silver/Silver



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Chhon; 03-27-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Chhon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
twall3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,551
Points: 51 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhon View Post
Hopefully that is the case. I will find soon if this looks and has similar characteristics because I purchased another cheap lightly used Orient Triton with different bezel and hands color. Here they are:

$167 Gold/Silver


$220 Silver/Silver



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Independent verification across two examples of the same product...always the safest bet. When I bought my SKX, I ordered three from Amazon, picked the one with the best chapter ring alignment, and returned the other two.
twall3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum – Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FSOT: Brand New SRPD01 "Dawn grey" Limited Edition 750 EUR Seikosthlm SEIKO & CITIZEN TRADING POST 0 03-03-2019 04:35 AM
FS:$??? Doxa Sub 300 "Silver Lung" Reissue ashbaug2 SEIKO & CITIZEN TRADING POST 11 11-05-2018 05:41 PM
FSOT: 1969 Seiko 6139-6000 "Aussie" 650EUR Seikosthlm SEIKO & CITIZEN TRADING POST 1 07-24-2018 01:19 AM
WTB: Seiko Pogue complete stem w. crown, and 6119-6400 complete stem w. crown nocount SEIKO & CITIZEN TRADING POST 0 08-22-2016 04:56 AM
FS (2) Seiko SRP775 "Turtle" diver- $315 bbk357 SEIKO & CITIZEN TRADING POST 1 04-08-2016 05:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.