The Watch Site banner

Fifty shades of grey... Dark Sumo

4K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  TheTigerUK 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's one that I've been working on for some time now...always wanted a watch that has so many color variations and the Dark Sumo is just that.

This one started life as an SBDC003. Also known as the Blumo and a very nice watch right out of the box.

But it's what happened after I took it out of the box that makes the Dark Sumo so unique.

After receiving the watch from another forum regular..{thanks to OutaTime}, I decided to completely disassemble the watch, which was already in top condition. All the stainless steel case parts, bezel and the bracelet stripped down to the links; all those were then sent off to be coated in Blue TiN.

The special coating has a slight blue tint to it and the blue shows best in the bright sunlight. But as the day wears on and the available light starts to fade, the metal begins to do something completely different and presents itself in a much more....well, sinister manner.

After the coating was completed, I began the reassembly and during that time, I decided that what this watch really needed was a ceramic bezel insert. Took awhile to source the proper insert but when I put it on the bezel, things were coming around nicely.... except for one little problem.

The ceramic insert sits very low in the bezel and this creates a tall ridge at the outer bezel edge. Those who are familiar with the Sumo know how the bezel looks...wider at the top. So with this ridge now quite visible due to the low heighth of the insert, well, something had to be done.

I packaged up the bezel and the insert and sent them off to John B {TheTigerUK}....seems like a regular thing to me now as John has had a hand in most of my builds...thanks John!

Anyway, I had John machine down the bezel so the ridge would be the same heighth as the insert. He left just enough metal there to provide a bit of bump protection. He sent it back and now I had a "low profile" Sumo bezel. I sent the machined bezel back for coating and now I was down to the home stretch.

There's a few other slight tweaks to the watch... I'll let you guys check it out and let me know what you think.

Did I get this one right this time?

Special thanks to Lane, John and Guy for all the help and encouragement along the way!

Comments expected!

Mike

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It's been a privilege to see how you have progressed with this, Mike. And I think it looks bloody great!

Love the look of the bezel, the tone of the case and bracelet (would be great to experience the coating throughout the course of the day while wearing it) and the other subtle change...

Is it bad to say I'm looking forward to whatever the next one is. :)

Really like the lume shots you did there.

#4 ·
Dark Sumo...low profile bezel!

Thanks Lane, and Guy!

I'm sure you both thought I was crazy to take apart a perfectly good watch just to have it coated. I have to admit that I wasn't even sure that it would turn out better in the end.

I've done three like this now and they all have that dark, sinister look as the sun starts to fade..really an interesting effect and adds depth to the metal.

Here's a couple more photos that show some of John's work on the bezel. You can see how the bezel just barely rises above the case flanges. Makes the watch sit a little lower on the wrist as well.

Mike

Attachments

#7 ·
Very impressive. Both the machine work and the idea to do it. I would love to see a wrist shot in the setting sunlight to see what the blue coating does. I think it's hard to tell in these pics. Maybe these show it?

Blue reflection inside band

and the right edge?

Very pretty watch.

#8 ·
Thanks Tom.

With this coating, you just have to wear the watch for a day to experience the different shades the coating presents.

Really wish I could just send one of these around the forum for everyone to see in person..

Maybe I'll post a thread about that..

Mike

#11 ·
I did make a few slight tweaks to the watch...the dial being one of the changes. "Started life as an 003" gives it away.

It just seemed like the proper thing to do; replacing the first gen dial with the more modern second gen dial to compliment the more modern and updated case and bezel.

Some things just look better when they compliment one another...

Mike

#15 ·
Thanks for your kind words on this one Steve...and thanks to new members; jeckyll and nickrivers!

I think of all the watches I've done, this one has been the most challenging and also had the best result.

The modding work on this one transformed the already respectable "Blumo" into a rather unique upscale diver that looks great on the wrist.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.