ORANGE 6309 7040 cushion case - Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum – Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 53
Points: 0 (+)
Default ORANGE 6309 7040 cushion case


Big fan of the SEIKO 6309 cushions, however wanted an ORANGE dial

- SKX011 dial
- orange chapter ring with minute markers - Ramon
- Orange Knight hands - Rob
- Sapphire flat crystal - Harold
- relumed dial and put together - Ken Setser




http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5...8/P1050726.jpg
willj28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 86
Points: 0 (+)
Default Re: ORANGE 6309 7040 cushion case

that dial looks stunning.....do you have a link as to wear you got it? 8)
mrteatime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 500
Points: 11 (+)
Default Re: ORANGE 6309 7040 cushion case

Looks awesome with the orange dial!
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Isthmus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 6,193
Points: 50 (+)
Default Re: ORANGE 6309 7040 cushion case

Quote:
Originally Posted by willj28

Big fan of the SEIKO 6309 cushions, however wanted an ORANGE dial

- SKX011 dial
- orange chapter ring with minute markers - Ramon
- Orange Knight hands - Rob
- Sapphire flat crystal - Harold
- relumed dial and put together - Ken Setser
Nice piece Will. Is there any chance you could give us a blow-by-blow of how the piece was built. Especially any problems you might have encountered along the way? I suspect that the dial had to be modified in order to make it work. I love the final piece. Very nicely done. Thanks in advance for the expanded post.
Isthmus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 105
Points: 0 (+)
Default Re: ORANGE 6309 7040 cushion case

Hi. I love Orange dials. Here is my cushion. Just sold a smaller one done the same.




Cheers Phil
Phil Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 53
Points: 0 (+)
Default Re: ORANGE 6309 7040 cushion case

Nice one Phil 8)
willj28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 53
Points: 0 (+)
Default Re: ORANGE 6309 7040 cushion case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthmus
Nice piece Will. Is there any chance you could give us a blow-by-blow of how the piece was built. Especially any problems you might have encountered along the way? I suspect that the dial had to be modified in order to make it work. I love the final piece. Very nicely done. Thanks in advance for the expanded post.
Issues for this mod

- SKX011 dial made for 7S26 movements and not for the 6309 movements, thus dial feet placements are different. Ken Setser did the mod for me by snipping the dial feet and attaching dial to dial movement ring.

- chapter ring - custom ring with minute markers done by Ramon (in PH). Believe there are various suppliers now on ebay which does 6309 chapter rings for < $20.

- hands from the Orange knight just drop in with no mod required

- insert - enlarged and relumed to match the dial and hands

Really, the only mod required is the dial mod - which alot of known forum members can do - Ken S, Bob T, Duarte, IWW ...

Cheers O0
willj28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,005
Points: 84 (+)
Default

wow,

this is the watch i've been dreaming of making, thanks for
the details, that is very helpful,

peterr
peterrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Hate_CBN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: England
Posts: 779
Points: 19 (+)
Default

Can people stop resurrecting long dead threads just to get their post count up !
Hate_CBN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
GuyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North East
Posts: 7,551
Points: 411 (+)
Default

I doubt it will happen!
GuyJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,005
Points: 84 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate_CBN View Post
Can people stop resurrecting long dead threads just to get their post count up !
dear sir,

i was sincerely expressing gratitude for a number of reasons, and
when i posted, i honestly didn't look at the date or year, it's the
orange-faced 6309 that i was looking at.

in the few months since, i've acquired the parts to make 2 of these
beauties, with variations, of course, i'll probably keep 2 and sell 1.
whatever, i feel the originator of a good useful post deserves thanks.

would you like scwf to wither on the vine? does it upset you to
have new members? weren't you new here, once?

anyway, it was not my intention to resurrect an old post, and
i didn't even know that that could be a bad thing, and you can see
by my numbers i don't post much, it's just not in my nature...
but if it brings more happy people with orange watches into the
world, i cannot see the harm in it.

i am a vintage seiko collector and i love my watches.

thanks,

peter
peterrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
GuyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: North East
Posts: 7,551
Points: 411 (+)
Default

I wouldn't take it personally, Peter. I think it's difficult at times to see genuine interest expressed over post-count bumping by those members who soon disappear off once their purchase has been made.

Have you considered using a 7548-700C or 700H to transplant to a 7040 case? Would look better than an 011 dial and wouldn't mean it would need its feet clipping.
GuyJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2018, 10:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,289
Points: 79 (+)
Default

I like the orange dials too..in fact, when you first posted in this older thread, this was the first time I'd seen that particular watch.

Agree with Guy here though...if you got the 7548-700c or 700h, you could have the orange dial without cutting the dial feet.

The 011 dial looks good too though since you've already got the parts for it.

Looking forward to seeing your work here!

Mike
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Alfa Sprint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 590
Points: 9 (+)
Default

Very nice, gold hands and gold/black bezel insert (Yobokies) should be fine.

The bracelet come from a SRP new turtle, how did you modify the end links ?
Alfa Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OutaTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Austin, Texas USA
Posts: 453
Points: 26 (+)
Default

Or you could use the 011 dial in the SRP turtle reissue case and not have to cut the dial feet. You’d have to source an orange chapter ring, but I’m sure there’s one out there somewhere. Good luck!
OutaTime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018, 02:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,289
Points: 79 (+)
Default

Excellent point Lane!

Totally forgot about those dials fitting in the srp's...and really, I should know that I guess.

That might be the best idea yet...unless he's already got a 6309 just waiting to be modified...the srp is actually cheaper.

Mike
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018, 04:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,005
Points: 84 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyJ View Post
I wouldn't take it personally, Peter. I think it's difficult at times to see genuine interest expressed over post-count bumping by those members who soon disappear off once their purchase has been made.

Have you considered using a 7548-700C or 700H to transplant to a 7040 case? Would look better than an 011 dial and wouldn't mean it would need its feet clipping.
absolutely,

i have a 7548-700h dial and chapter ring on tap...i am a little stuck in one
aspect, i have a photo of a noah fuller mod where he's put a groove
( in woodworking, we'd call it a dado) around a crown and filled it with some
kind of orange compound, i can send you a photo, perhaps it's a mod you'd
be willing to try. it's a small detail, but sometimes the watch-god is in those
details...

i could send this one to you for reluming, the lume is very weak on the 700h dial,
and we can talk about whether or not the crown mod is possible.

i wasn't taking it personally, really, when we talk about people we don't know,
we're usually projecting how we feel about ourselves...which is just one reason
it's good not to judge others...and yes, there is a treasure trove of info in these
old threads. the thing is, i'm so old that 2011 seems like yesterday to me.
i mean, is that really an old thread? in what way? we're talking about the
exact same watches, aren't we?

Last edited by peterrizzo; 04-06-2018 at 05:06 PM.
peterrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2018, 07:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,005
Points: 84 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrizzo View Post
absolutely,

i have a 7548-700h dial and chapter ring on tap...i am a little stuck in one
aspect, i have a photo of a noah fuller mod where he's put a groove
( in woodworking, we'd call it a dado) around a crown and filled it with some
kind of orange compound, i can send you a photo, perhaps it's a mod you'd
be willing to try. it's a small detail, but sometimes the watch-god is in those
details...

i could send this one to you for reluming, the lume is very weak on the 700h dial,
and we can talk about whether or not the crown mod is possible.

i wasn't taking it personally, really, when we talk about people we don't know,
we're usually projecting how we feel about ourselves...which is just one reason
it's good not to judge others...and yes, there is a treasure trove of info in these
old threads. the thing is, i'm so old that 2011 seems like yesterday to me.
i mean, is that really an old thread? in what way? we're talking about the
exact same watches, aren't we?
hey, i figured out how to upload, finally, here's a picture of the noah
fuller watch. i am not gonna replicate that soxa crown, and i'm not
sure about the hands, but the 7548-700h dial i have is gonna be
perfect in the bead-blasted 6309 case i have....so it's that little
crown mod, there, i don't know why i like it so much, but i do....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hc5FS8x.jpg (80.5 KB, 15 views)
peterrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2018, 08:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Saul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,359
Points: 28 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrizzo View Post
hey, i figured out how to upload, finally, here's a picture of the noah
fuller watch. i am not gonna replicate that soxa crown, and i'm not
sure about the hands, but the 7548-700h dial i have is gonna be
perfect in the bead-blasted 6309 case i have....so it's that little
crown mod, there, i don't know why i like it so much, but i do....
Peter, this is not a Noah Fuller watch (may he rest in peace). This is my watch. It is a 7548-700H movement, dial, cr, hands, all dropped in a bead blasted 6309-7049 case. The Doxa-homage bezel insert is from Yobokies. The crown was modified by the late Jonathan Koch (may his memory be a blessing) from when he originally put it together in a radically re-profiled 6309-729x case. He also lumed the dial and hands. I inherited that watch from Jonathan via Spencer Klein and moved it into its current case. The crystal is one of Spencer's TypeII domed mineral glass. I added the Kanji day wheel.

This is a swell mod and really scratches the itch for an OEM orange cushion cased diver.
__________________

hi, my name is Saul and I'm a Seikoholic...
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,005
Points: 84 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul View Post
Peter, this is not a Noah Fuller watch (may he rest in peace). This is my watch. It is a 7548-700H movement, dial, cr, hands, all dropped in a bead blasted 6309-7049 case. The Doxa-homage bezel insert is from Yobokies. The crown was modified by the late Jonathan Koch (may his memory be a blessing) from when he originally put it together in a radically re-profiled 6309-729x case. He also lumed the dial and hands. I inherited that watch from Jonathan via Spencer Klein and moved it into its current case. The crystal is one of Spencer's TypeII domed mineral glass. I added the Kanji day wheel.

This is a swell mod and really scratches the itch for an OEM orange cushion cased diver.
Hi Saul,

thanks, i saw a photo somewhere and grabbed it to put in a folder i call
orange dreams...i'm sorry i mis-attributed it, i honestly think it's the
nicest orange 6309 i've seen yet, and i'm working my way to making
one or two of them, i'll see how it goes.

i have a 7548-700H dial, the hands are not that soft gray, so not a good
match, is there a way to buy those hands? my hands have shiny edges.
i have found some matte gray dagger hands, but no matte gray seiko
hands to date.

and when you say it's a radically re-profiled case, does that mean the
case has been modified? do you have any side view photos?

any info you have would be very helpful. or honestly, i'd buy that
watch from you if you don't get much use from it. i think it is
perfectly done, and stunning to boot.

thanks for writing,

peter
peterrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Saul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,359
Points: 28 (+)
Default

Here is what became of the shaved case. 6309, hacking, Dagaz Type II dial, Yobokies hands, Yobokies coin edge, Dagaz 12 hour insert, Klein Type II crystal. Wish there was a full lume ceramic 12 hour insert for this, that would really finish it off.



__________________

hi, my name is Saul and I'm a Seikoholic...

Last edited by Saul; 04-14-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,005
Points: 84 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul View Post
Here is what became of the shaved case. 6309, hacking, Dagaz Type II dial, Yobokies hands, Yobokies coin edge, Dagaz 12 hour insert, Klein Type II crystal. Wish there was a full lume ceramic 12 hour insert for this, that would really finish it off.



i agree about the full-lume bezel insert, but that's a fabulous mod as it is too,
and i love seeing a modified case, the 6309 sometimes reads as too bulbous or wide
for some designs, this reminds me a little of the sinn-type mod below, shaving
the crown guards off really streamlines a watch that reminds one of being airborne.....

thanks for the photos, very nice, this is my first contact with someone
else shaving a case, i am a sculptor and to me it's second nature to
just file something down. but i never though to do a 6309, maybe i will
now, i've thought of them as too precious to modify. but i did take the
twist out of an omega, and i like it way better this way, the dial then
becomes pre-eminent, i'll post a few pictures of a few....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6 omega.jpg (241.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1 nth scorpene.jpg (213.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 8 seiko 7C43.jpg (203.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-04-09 13.55.01.jpg (177.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-04-09 13.59.06.jpg (178.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by peterrizzo; 04-14-2018 at 01:46 PM.
peterrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,005
Points: 84 (+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul View Post
Here is what became of the shaved case. 6309, hacking, Dagaz Type II dial, Yobokies hands, Yobokies coin edge, Dagaz 12 hour insert, Klein Type II crystal. Wish there was a full lume ceramic 12 hour insert for this, that would really finish it off.



thanks for the photos, very nice, this is my first contact with someone
else shaving a case, i am a sculptor and to me it's second nature to
just file something down. but i never though to do a 6309, maybe i will
now, i've thought of them as too precious to modify. but i did take the
twist out of an omega, and i like it way better this way, the dial then
becomes pre-eminent, i'll post a few pictures of a few....
peterrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 04:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 61
Points: 0 (+)
Default

Love the orange dial not usually a fan of mods especially on classic watches like the 6309 but this mod is very tasteful.
robmellor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum – Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB:6309-7040 Case Head or Back cushion cover Only LongBike SEIKO & CITIZEN TRADING POST 1 11-14-2012 05:27 PM
WTB , Original Dial and Hands for 6309 7040 cushion case jimmy1963 SEIKO & CITIZEN TRADING POST 0 01-19-2012 05:18 AM
WTB: 6309-7040 cushion case _robban SEIKO & CITIZEN TRADING POST 2 07-13-2011 04:02 AM
WTB: 6309/7040/7049 Cushion case time_watcher SEIKO & CITIZEN TRADING POST 0 07-11-2011 07:06 PM
SOLD: 6309-7040 Cushion Case $129 shipped HDEddie1 SEIKO & CITIZEN TRADING POST 0 07-01-2010 02:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.