The Watch Site banner

Bodged 6309

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  diesel powered seiko 
#1 · (Edited)
Received my 6309 7049 today. Going to need some work I think, gaskoid/silicone used to seal the crystal, crystal chipped, black super glue to stick AM bezel to original (explains where it went though :) ), and I can't get the case back of :( . Any ideas from the gurus round here, what the AM is? I quite like it, personally.
Here are a few pics, (in the heat of the moment I scraped the majority of the silicone off and separated the inserts, but I think you can still see traces of glue and silicone). More to follow, once I've opened her up.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
well that does look so bad...wish mine was that close to being done

#4 ·
love that original bezel...

#6 ·
i would keep it as original as possible...highest value if you do...

#8 ·
Difficult screw on case backs: use a good case holder (you may need to mount holder in a vise). Use a good case wrench...I use a JAXA type, but also have a simple two jawed key that works very well. Use correctly fitting teeth and adjust the tool well and hold a lot of pressure on the case back...keep the pressure square on the case back and apply smooth increasing torque so as not to slip. In very rare circumstances, I've had to use a stake and lightly tap with a hammer to loosen a back...case absolutely has to be mounted in a good holder & vise. Regards, BG

#9 ·
Well I managed to get the case back off using a case vice, back removing tool (it's a seiko specific one off the bay) and my thighs to hold it all together. Took the watch apart, and just cleaned it up, using my trusty tooth brush, lighter fluid and IPA bath (not mixed, that comes at the end for the cocktail :grin: ). Got the crystal and crystal retainer in no bother, but getting the bezel on and to turn was impossible, after four attempts and trying another bezel, I checked the original against the new one fitted, the AM retainer was a cats whisker thicker than the original, so cleaned and fitted the original.
The other problem is I can't get the chapter ring to align with the 12 o clock marker, sits slightly left of the 12, only just, but it annoys me. Any ideas? Anyway, enough bleating on, here are some photos. I'll take more next time I post a thread. Sorry they are in separate posts, not able to upload multiple photos at the moment.

Attachments

#14 ·
hey pics look great and great looking watch...great find

#15 ·
Thought I'd wear her to work tonight, seems to be running pretty well. Could do with a service (I'm not brave enough to do it) and regulated. Any suggestions as who to do it in UK.
It looks a 100% better than one I bought from a certain dealer on the bay!
Got 7C43 to clean up next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
The face, hands, case, movement and bezel are original. The insert looks original, but badly damaged as the original owner stuck another bezel insert on top of it, and that looks like it came from a couple of decades ago. The strap is a Seiko, but a modern one, the strap it came on was nasty, and the spring bars were universal, as in could 10mm to about 30mm gap, now on Seiko fat bars. Oh the crystal is AM as well :57:

#18 ·
hey it will be worth more leaving it just the way it is...it is original just once...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.