The Watch Site banner

Omega speedsonic, finished for now :)

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  BenchGuy 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Re: incoming hummer :)

It's here! For the time being, I swapped the tuning fork module with an generic ESA 9162 one, I only had to swap one little gear, and it works :) The chrono module is working perfectly. The day wheel has probably some broken teeth, but I've seen some on ebay already :) I'll make some pics later.

#8 ·

dutchsiberia said:
It's here! For the time being, I swapped the tuning fork module with an generic ESA 9162 one, I only had to swap one little gear, and it works :) The chrono module is working perfectly. The day wheel has probably some broken teeth, but I've seen some on ebay already :) I'll make some pics later.
:bravo_2:

Fantastic watch!

#11 ·

Nice one!

There will be more pics after the repair is complete :) Unfortunately the crown broke off, the stem appeared to be heavily corroded, snapping off, leaving a part in the crown :'( "fortunately" the crown from a "regular" F300 omega I have fits, and I bought a new stem on Ebay. (will take some time to arrive obviously) In the meantime I can disassemble the chronograph part of the movement, and install the english daywheel I bought. And a lot of cleaning of course...

The only difference between the regular tuning fork module and the speedsonic one is the gear that drives the movement.

Left regular, right speedsonic. The generic module I used for testing in the background.

The original module needed one coil side replaced and some fiddling with the index wheel and the index finger

Humming again :)

Here's where I need to bolt it back on :) Not at the moment, to many little loose bits of crud in the movement, jamming it sometimes.

To be continued.......

#12 · (Edited)

"this should fit, 'cause it's from an omega"

Not.

The chrono module is held on only by the two clamp thingies you normally would use to hold on the dial :eek:
(not true with four screws also...)

I thought, "let's remove the four screws holding the chrono together and take a peek inside.."
While taking the halves apart, I could here parts inside moving and the sound of springs detaching :-[

Yikes.

I got everything back together (phew!) and even managed to do some cleaning...

The watch is running with it's original backplate and the chrono hand now has a beautiful smooth action, not twitching and stuttering anymore.

Ideally, I should get another daywheel (longshot) and now the waiting is for the new stem :)

#13 ·
Re: Omega speedsonic, work in progress :)

The winding stem arrived! I'm done with this one for the moment :)

The seconds hand could use some more aligning, but is seems to end up at this position every time so I'll leave it for now.
Big watch :)

I'm still deciding if I like this bracelet. Very good quality though.

:)

#23 ·
Very nice...did you service the module or just replace the second wheel? Also important to make sure the friction wheel is lubricated correctly...lack of service, along with moving the hands CCW when setting is reponsible for a lot of the damage seen to index wheels/jewels on these. Regards, BG

#24 ·
Thanks for the heads up! I cleaned the module to the best of my abilities. I replaced one coil with a donor coil and adjusted the index finger with the little screw. The friction wheel seems to function correctly, no movement of the seconds hand when I adjust the time. But I'll look into that, the Omega is still working :)

(I just repaired a Certina "Certronic" with the same movement, also needed the component coil replaced and the same index finger was bent, I just bent it back, to see if that worked, it was broken anyway, and that watch is running very nice also, too bad it was for a friend...)

I like messing around with F300 movements :)

#25 ·
Index finger is frequently bend from the friction wheel lube/CCW adjustment issue. Also, a common fault is caused by well-intended "watchmakers" removing the stem, without first removing the tf module...or attempting to install the hands with the module in place. Very few of these which come into my shop are correctly indexed upon receipt. Use of the gage and a microscope is essential to indexing. Improper indexing is also a cause of badly worn index wheels. Index wheels have become pretty scarce...two are currently on the 'Bay @ USD180 each! I'm particularly fond of the ESA TFs...but difficult to find one that hasn't been abused. Congrats on your speedsonic! Regards, BG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.