The Watch Site banner

How best to replace black marker ink/paint on a rotating bezel ?

11K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  jef_in 
#1 ·
I am restoring an awesome 5717 Single Button Chronograph for a family member and I want it to be really great when I am done.

I need to re-black the bezel markers. I am not sure if this is best done with enamel paint, acryllic, or ink.

My plan would be to carefully do my best to fill the crevices of the numbers and the markers with black enamel, wipe it off quickly across the top of the bezel, and let it dry.

Any helpful suggestions as to best paint/ink to use and tricks to apply or if baking/curing is needed will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance. See the photo below, shows missing black in the minute markers at 3, 4, 8, 12-17 etc., top of number '2' in 20, the entire '0' in 20 and the entire 30, etc.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have done what you intend to do to a SKX171 bezel by filling the markers with black Humbrol modellers enamel using a needle to drop the paint in by capillary and wiping off the excess enamel using a finger. The enamel is pretty durable so no baking required.

#9 ·
As someone who has sprayed his share of paint believe it or not acrylics paints are much more durable than enamels and more impervious to liquid solvents. It is also much easier to work with as it is water soluble.
I would definitely thin it a little more than the way it sits in the bottle isopropal alcohol is the best solvent to thin it with. it has much better capillary action than enamels.
Over in the UK Humbrol is the standard hobby paint but few hobby stores carry it in the US. The best acrylic paint avalible here in the US is made by Tamiya model company. Every hobby store stocks it here in the US.
I would apply it with a fine paintbrush. Go over it once let it sit an hour and do it again for good coverage. I would also be sure to use gloss black. Then let it sit overnight and touch it up with a cloth damped with some acetone like mentioned and you should have a perfect bezel in the end. it really is a lot easier than it looks and any mistake can be fixed in two seconds with a wipe of a cloth and try again.

Michael

#12 ·
#16 ·
You're welcome Jon!

Looks like it turned out very nice!

#14 · (Edited)
This really turned out perfectly. I hope the crappy iphone picture is OK to show the HUGE improvement. I am incredibly pleased with the results. Used Testors black paint from a US Hobby Shop.

THANK YOU ALL !

Left photo is "AFTER" Right photo is "BEFORE"

Attachments

#17 ·
I used Edding (or any other brand) undeletable pens for this. Then I pass a finger over it to delete the exterior side imperfections. The result is perfect even with loupe. And I believe the cheapest option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.