The Watch Site banner

Crown pulling out on 5606 - help please!

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  killsnapz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I need some help please.
I had a LM 5606 with the usual broken day/date quick set. As I had a scrap movement I swapped over the complete day-date corrector wheel rocker which seemed to have solved the day and date quick set issue.
However, the crown will now not stay in the movement. When I push it in, it engages the winding mechanism, and pulling it out to the first position changes the day or date but when I pull it out to the second position the crown just comes right out.
I have had the front of the watch apart half a dozen times but the crown keeps coming out.
I think the setting lever, spring, yoke and clutch have all gone back correctly as I took the picture (below) of the movement before I took it apart.
The crown was secure before I stripped down the movement. I have also tried a crown from another movement and that also pulls out but is secure in its original movement.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Something is keeping the set lever from sliding down into the notch on the stem. I have had the release leavers stick in the down position on some movements. You do not realize it until you go to reinstall the stem and it keeps falling out. On the 5606 with the one piece case check the other end of the tab you pushed down on to release the stem and see if slides back down towards the movement when you push down on the stem release tab. A drop of light oil in the hole and a couple of light pushes usually will free it up. I can post pictures of exactly where it is on a spare movement if you like.

Michael

#3 ·
Hi Michael
Thanks for he suggestion. As a result I looked at the setting lever and found there was corrosion on the pin that interferes with the stem. I went back to my scrap movement and setting lever was fine so I swapped them round. This has solved the problem so the stem stays in place and turns the hands ... but now the hand winding function is not working. With the crown pushed right in the crown turns around but does not turn the barrel. More investigations will be necessary.
Chris

#4 ·
Like I said I have had that exact problem. if that pin hangs up from when you pushed on it to release the stem it will not let the setting lever come down and keep good pressure on the stem so it stays in the notch. Typically if the pin has that type of rust or crud you are going to have more crude in other parts of the watch too. I have plenty of spare 5606 movements and parts of you need anything just let me know.

Michael

#5 ·
Like I said I have had that exact problem. if that pin hangs up from when you pushed on it to release the stem it will not let the setting lever come down and keep good pressure on the stem so it stays in the notch. Typically if the pin has that type of rust or crud you are going to have more crude in other parts of the watch too. I have plenty of spare 5606 movements and parts of you need anything just let me know.

Michael
Michael, thanks for the offer of parts. At the moment I am just about getting by with spares from my scrappers. If I need anything more I will get in touch.
I sorted out the lack of hand-winding. The yoke spring was the wrong side of the foot on the yoke so the clutch wheel was being pushed towards the centre of the watch rather than to the side so it was not meshing with the winding pinion. I have now moved the yoke spring to the other side of the yoke and all is well.
I have just put the watch back together and at the moment it is running well. Let's hope it continues!
It all took some time but in the process of sorting it all out I have learned a lot about this movement.
Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.
Chris

#6 ·
The 5606 is one of my favorite movements. I like the 1960's Lordmatics and the 5606 is in most of them so I keep a bunch of spare movements around.
Glad to here you have it all sorted out. Learning to repair these movements is not hard. It just takes some practice.

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.