The Watch Site banner

seiko 7813 stem removal?

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  macfutz 
#1 ·
To anyone who might know...

How the heck do I safely remove the stem from a Seiko cal. 7813 quartz? The tech sheet mentions tiny wrenches (in parts list), but nowhere is mentioned what to do with them. I don't have such a wrench--and never saw such a plan before on any movement. Fairly close study of the back of the movement gives me no clues to either the usual arrow + hole, or where to apply a wrench, for that matter.

It's a very nice movement (5 jewels) that still works fine after decades. But I now need to uncase it to work on the crystal.

Any ideas, anybody...please?

#2 ·
Wow , that's a new one on me. I recently asked for help on removing a stem from a Seiko 8223 SQ ....I had to partially disassemble the watch by the stem to get to a dimpled setting lever ...no arrow , no screw , no clue..... I looked at the tech sheet and saw the wrenches pictured and I tried to search for for a solution...which I am sure you had already done . Could the wrench be used for pushing two points at the same time instead of turning something ?
A pic would help get you an answer . I know on a Timex you use a pair of tweezer points to pressure 2 levers at the same time .

Why is this thread here instead of the main forum ?? I just happened to stumble across it . Maybe once you get a solution it should be put here for future reference .
Good Luck , I'm curious on the solution .

#3 ·
Thanks for replying!
I don't have a solution yet. Also can't post a closeup foto...camera too old. The Seiko tech sheet is as revealing as looking at the watch (i.e., not very). From info on other 78xx calibers, I half suspect the wrenches are for dial access only cases (which I don't have).
If I can't get better info somewhere, I'll just start poking with a plastic pick...and hope for the best. There HAS to be a lever in there somewhere.
If I ever figure it out, I'll post the trick for others to use. Or...if I mess it up, I'll post a warning, I guess.
This is funny...Seiko's usually pretty good about such necessary info...

#6 ·
seiko 7813 stem issue

Ha.
Problem solved. Adjust the lamp differetly, use adequate magnification, and there is indeed a little dimpled button just a bit south of the stem. No identifying mark, but easy once you see it.
This is a very tidy little movement, still working without complaint after some 31 years. It doesn't seem to be very well known. To my eyes, every bit as well engineered and made as the 75xx types, which have many fans. Perhaps the more diminutive size of the 7813 has a bearing upon this?
One can only speculate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.