The Watch Site banner

Repair ?

9K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  LongBike 
#1 ·
Watch Analog watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Photograph

I purchased the middle watch in Phu Cat AFB in Vietnam in 1966, it has much attachment for me. I have had two professional watchsmiths try to fix it. It runs a while and quits. Anyone think theycan fix it?
I will trade the other two watchs for a repair. The Bellomatic runs but the bezel does not turn, the quartz needs a battery.

See less See more
#4 ·
Alas the Bell has stopped running, it has never been serviced so this is no surprise. I would like to give it a good home to someone who appreicates it. How about this...I will give it to anyone who pledges an approiate gift to the Wounded Warrior Project.
I will ship on you word of the pledge. This is no scam.

#6 ·
Hey pm me...i am interested..

#13 ·
What is the middle watch? Looks like a Sportsmatic 5. If it is a 6619 cal. or similar it should be easy to fix, so it's surprising a watchmaker could not mend it.
I very much doubt the watchmaker could not fix it. Rather would not fix it. It's far easier to and cheaper to replace a battery in a quartz watch rather than have to hunt down parts etc over weeks or months.

#9 ·
Hey if you had that middle one for a long time..it seems a shame to get rid of it now..this forums is full of great info and people more than willing to help you out...i think you will regret not keeping that one...if you need any help..let me know

#14 ·
well i would just find another sportsmatic for parts...would be a easy repair..i got a few of these for just a few dollars...

#16 ·
well you can do the work yourself...anyone who says too old..do not deal with them...

#19 ·
I am new here, I dont know how to start a new post so forgive me. When I was in vietnam in the 60s, Sieko 5s cost $14.00 at the BX, they came in a green plastic sleeve. I see that new automatic Sieko can still be had for less than $50.00 or so yet the quartz with fewer parts cost the same or more, how is this??
Thanks

#20 ·
I would be willing to clean one of my spare movements for you and ship it to you all you would need to do is get someone to swap the hands and dials etc onto my movement when it gets to the US. then if you could ship your movement back to me. At least then you you would be able to hang on to old faithful. Is it a 17 or 27 jewel movement ? I have both. Just a thought

#21 ·
I want to thank all of you member sof the fourm for your kind offers, it does me good to find there are still caring people out there. I will give my local man one more chance.
As an aside, I will offer this tidbit. In vietnam when we got a watch, there was a small industy offering vinyl pieces to put on the band and covering the bottom of the watch to protect from sweat I assume, so if you find the remnets of some plastic on an old timer it probly it came from vietnam.

#42 ·
I want to thank all of you member sof the fourm for your kind offers, it does me good to find there are still caring people out there. I will give my local man one more chance.
As an aside, I will offer this tidbit. In vietnam when we got a watch, there was a small industy offering vinyl pieces to put on the band and covering the bottom of the watch to protect from sweat I assume, so if you find the remnets of some plastic on an old timer it probly it came from vietnam.
It was said it was to keep bacteria from getting on and into the skin for causing sickness and diseases
because of constant use. But many believe it to be just a Hoax. Everything got in its place no matter
what they said, dirt, grime, mud. When you are in " The Jungle " ,for some days and no bath,
everything comes on your body.

#22 ·
VBoy, Looks like maybe you found somebody to do a a repair. I bought a Seiko Bell-Matic in Vietnam in 1968, but it has needed repair. Only found one person who would do it. He's had it for over 8 months and doesn't know when he'll get it finished. I'll probably never see it again. Hate to lose a sentimental thing that basically worked, but needed cleaning.

#24 ·
i would never let anyone have my watch that long..they obviously done what to do or they have done something they should not of..i would get it back...NOW...

#25 ·
there are plenty of great people here and i am sure many who would be glad to fix your watch..for a fee...but never allow anyone to hold something that is yours hostage...go and retrieve your watch..just my 2 cents

#26 ·
And just because you can not find a local shop to work on your items....do not worry..i am a huge advocate for supporting my local shops too..but sometimes it is necessary to go where you get the best for you...

#28 ·
you are in the erie pa area?...i live very close to you..pm me..i am willing to help you..i live in Jamestown NY

#29 ·
do not worry if the watch is in pieces..just get it all back and do not pay them for what they did...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.