The Watch Site banner

Seiko Brochures 1970's (Japan)

19K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  NSantos 
#1 · (Edited)
Various Seiko brochures from the 1970's.

This brochure contains various Seiko Five models, Rally Divers and Speedtimers as well as ladies models.

1970 Seiko Action In Summer / Play In Summer

Another brochure likely from 1971. This has 61GS, 45GS and 56GS models. There are also EL-370, 45KS and 56KS King Seiko, 56LM Lord Matic, Five Speed-Timers, Five Actus, Bell-matic, 6159 diver, World Timer and Navigator Timer as well as various ladies models.

1971 Seiko Proud to be in Hand / Joy to Hold Brochure

The early 1974 brochure has a variety of models such as VFA, QT and QR. These are all analog models but there is also a page on the new 06LC VFA that was the World's First LCD quartz watch with six-digit digital display. This brochure was originally a large fold out double sided pamphlet, but I have scanned in the pages as pairs to make it a bit easier to navigate.

1974.04 Seiko Quartz Brochure

This is a brochure showing some of the digital models from February 1978. This includes models such as A021, A031, A039, A159, C153, M158 and M159.

1978.02 Seiko Digital Watch Brochure

Next is a larger brochure designed for dealers from June 1978 showing the new model line-ups including Lord, King and Grand Quartz, SilverWave Z as well as POP materials and advertising campaigns.

1978.06 Seiko Dealer News

This is another dealer brochure from November 1978 and it shows some of the Christmas POP materials and discusses sales strategy.

1978.11 Seiko Dealer News

The December 1978 Seiko Quartz Digital Brochure discusses the growth in the digital market and highlights various models including C156, M158, M354, A158, A029, A021, 0138, A129, F033, L221, A156, A229, A127 and Alba Y448 models.

1978.12 Seiko Quartz Digital Brochure

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks for the appreciation.

I am including the Seiko dealer newsletter in this section and not the Seiko Watch News thread as this seems to be more of a generic brochure but still targeted towards dealers. It is interesting to see the different displays and POP materials.

#14 · (Edited)
I think that you will find that it is slightly earlier Anthony. The Easy Rider theme fits in with the release of the film in June 1969 (Jan 24th 1970 in Japan) and the 'Proof' dial on the 6159 diver shown suggests mid 1970 at the latest, as far as I know by even early 1971 all Seiko watches were being marked 'Resist'..........
So my money is on the Summer of 1970.

#17 ·
I have just added the 1971 Seiko Proud to be in Hand / Joy to Hold Brochure.

Again there is no date for this but as it has EL-370 models that were not released until early 1971 from what I can find, I think this date is correct, but please let me know if you think this is wrong.

The images do show Proof dials on the 6159 and Speed-Timers but I would think it likely that Seiko would have just used the stock photos they had for these models instead or doing a completely new shoot for a simple range brochure. It did take a reasonable amount of work to produce these elements for use in comparison to today with digital cameras and Photoshop.

#20 ·
thanks for the info on when "waterproof" became "water resist"!
i have a 5606 lordmatic serial that starts with 8. now i know its from 1968 rather than 1978. (coz it says waterproof rather than water resist)
thanks for sharing!

#25 ·
Thanks for these PDF brochures Anthony - I'm trying to collate a list of some of the more popular men's Seiko watches made from 1970 (my birth year) and this resource will be very helpful. Shame I can't read Japanese though.

I have a question. Take for example the 'Seiko Proud To Be In Hand' brochure and find the King Seiko Model 45KSC-010 model. This model ref is, I presume the Japan market model name a bit like SKX007 is a model name for case ref:7s26-0020. Is there a straight foward way to transpose this model number into the Case numbers that we all use today when we talk about vintage KS or GS LM or whatever?

#27 ·
I have a question. Take for example the 'Seiko Proud To Be In Hand' brochure and find the King Seiko Model 45KSC-010 model. This model ref is, I presume the Japan market model name a bit like SKX007 is a model name for case ref:7s26-0020. Is there a straight foward way to transpose this model number into the Case numbers that we all use today when we talk about vintage KS or GS LM or whatever?
There is no simple way to transfer a model number to a MVMT-CASE number just like today with the SKX007 to 7S26-0020.

The older model numbers are slightly more use than the modern ones as the first couple of digits at least give an indication of the movement used. If you want to figure out the movement and case then it would be best to check out the old catalogs as these traditionally list both the movement and case number, but not every issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.