The Watch Site banner

How to determine if a Seiko is fake?

8K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  merigold 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've just bought from a U.S. based website a Seiko Solar watch, the model is SNE-161.

I've received a manual, but no Seiko warranty and also the box is just blue, with no Seiko logo anywhere.

I've also looked into the manual and says that the crown should lock if screwing it clockwise but in this watch screwing the crown do nothing, it never locks.

So my question is: would it be possible to determine if this watch is genuine or fake? How can I check this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 ·
Interesting...

First, :welcome: to SCWF! Also, a photo of the watch would be helpful, since model numbers sometimes are confusing and change between nations.
Hi,

I've just bought from a U.S. based website a Seiko Solar watch, the model is SNE-161.

I've received a manual, but no Seiko warranty and also the box is just blue, with no Seiko logo anywhere.

I've also looked into the manual and says that the crown should lock if screwing it clockwise but in this watch screwing the crown do nothing, it never locks.

So my question is: would it be possible to determine if this watch is genuine or fake? How can I check this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

#3 ·
First, :welcome: to SCWF! Also, a photo of the watch would be helpful, since model numbers sometimes are confusing and change between nations.
Hi, thanks for the welcome!

I've tried to post the image, but the site don't allow me because I need at least 5 posts in the site :)

Now I have a bigger problem ... the watch won't hold the charge ... I've left it under direct sunlight for 3 hours and somehow works, but as soon as the watch is not under direct sunlight it stops :(

Anyone know how long should I expose Seiko solar watches to sunlight?

#4 ·
Hi, This watch does not have a screw down crown as it's rated at 100m, re the charge it may take a number of hours to obtain enough charge, maybe it's been stored in the dark for many mouths, do not leave the watch to long in sunlight so that it overheats, just give it time ;)...Bob.

#6 ·
Hi Again, It should be fine for swimming, but I would not dive with it, I would find a watch with a screw down crown if you spend a lot of time messing about in water,this Citizen of mine is rated at 200m ,it does not have a screw down crown:eek: I would swim with it, but not dive, but that just me, hope your new watch starts to hold it's charge, it's rare that Seiko watches let you down,let as know how you go on............Bob.

#9 ·
Please bear with me as I just joined (maybe posting incorrectly).
I also recently purchased a Seiko online via Amazon third party seller and am concerned that it may be a fake. It was listed as a SYMK43. SN: 2D0178. Case displays: 4207-00W0 A4. Dial displays: 4207-08F4 TG 2. Please help. Is it fake?

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Hi Jonas,
I am looking for additional links and stumbled upon many sites describing the commoness of fake Seiko 5's especially in online sales. I am concerned due to quality as it seems to work beautifully at this time, but if it is fake, then that probably wouldn't last. Hoping someone can help me discern the authenticity before I invest more money in it.
Thank you!
P.S. This is my first Seiko. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.