The Watch Site banner

Is this really a 4006-6080?

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Jim W 
#1 ·
Having fancied a Bellmatic for a long time I finally bought what I believe is a 1968 4006-7020 27J in excellent condition last week.

Anyway the bug has biten me and I am looking others!

I saw this today saying it is a 4006-6080 and the back confirms it although looking at pictures elsewhere I don't believe it is. can anybody confirm what it is? Looks like somebody has been handy with the red paint too!

Unfortunately as a new member I cannot post links yet. It is item number 262442281060 on ebay

#2 ·
Hey lyndonp, first rule is not to directly
link to live auctions (although for some reason quoting the item number is
Ok?).
I've attached a photo for you though.
I'm not familiar with the 6080, but I'd steer well clear of this one. It looks all wrong and the case looks like it's been polished smooth.

Via the interweb from a land downunder

#3 · (Edited)
I'm not that adverse to franken's, some look very nice. It's not good when the seller claims they are all original though, because they are obviously worth less. In this case he does not directly say it's original, but he says it has been kept mint.
With Franken's, I think the dial has to be unpainted and in reasonable condition, or its a parts watch as far as I'm concerned.

I think you're right about the case being the wrong style but the most objectionable thing to me about this one, is the dial. It looks like someone has pasted some blue holographic wrapping paper over the top half of the dial. You can see the join running across from 9 to 3. They've been a bit too handy with the red paint too. The silver Seiko logo is fake too. This is a deliberate counterfeit but so bad that it's quite interesting.

Someone has either customized his dial, or deliberately tried to cover up damage in the hope they can make more money. I think they have removed all the original markers and seiko logo, pasted the paper on the top half, then applied new markers and a fake logo. I also think it would look terrible in real life because the paper appears to be curved to the top of the beveled section of the dial. A flat bit of paper won't fit the 3 d shape without wrinkling. I think there will be a gap under the paper beside the edge and the 9 and also between the 3 and the edge.

#6 ·
I see it got US$181. I don't know what to make of that. Sometimes non working watches go for way more than i expect if they are all original with original bracelet, but at least they can be made good. With that dial, i can't see that one is worth much. The case is probably the most valuable bit of it and even at that, its hard to say how good it is from the pictures.

#7 · (Edited)
I certainly didn't buy it!

I have now added a second Bellmatic to my collection a 4006-7002 17J in very good condition to add to the first I bought 4006-7020 27J which was in excellent condition. Although the 7002 has a nice new black leather strap I am going to try one of those stainless steel bracelets by uncleseiko as they look smart.

Do have my eye on a 4006-6031 too.

This Bellmatic bug is catching!

#8 ·
Had to laugh - looks what has just resurfaced on ebay

item 262483941347

It is the same seller and re-listed so maybe somebody sent it back when it they realised it wasn't "100% authentic"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose the seller's name sums it up "exclusive dials":)

#10 ·
Last time it had 21 bids all private listing. Every single bid was an exact number of gbp. Bit of a coincidence, do you think? He has another bellmatic for sale too, again with a fake seiko logo and probably painted with new markers. He's actually quite good at refinishing (faking?) dials but that dial with the wrapping paper is crazy.

#11 ·
lol - just looked at the other he has for sale 262482581226. It has the right hand side of the calendar window missing! He has described it as "in mint condition" and again 100% authentic with the fake dial. How he can get away with such descriptions is beyond belief.

I wonder who would buy such junk from this seller. Unfortunately too many like him around trying to make a quick buck at the expense of others.

I wouldn't touch this seller with a barge pole!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.