The Watch Site banner

4005 for under $100

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  startsomething 
#1 ·
After me complaining how much broken bells cost, here's one I wish I hadn't missed.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SEIKO-BE...rue&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_261wt_924

Although its not working it sounds like it is just missing the escape wheel or lever.

In case the listing has gone, it was US$99 buy it now. I'd have bought it! I attached the pictures from the ad below.

Was anyone on here lucky enough to get this one?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The 4005s are very nice, I just wish Seiko had made more dial/case options available.

I love the dial color and markers on the -7010 dials, however (IMO) the handset does not fit at all. The huge, square/angular markers make the hands look completely underweighted, or so I think...

In any case, 100 USD for a 4005 is probably a good price, provided it does not have major problems and has been messed with. The needle in one of the pictures does worry me a little...

Best
H

#6 ·
The needle in one of the pictures does worry me a little...
That's a very good point I hadn't thought of. I guess buying that watch might be like taking a shower at the Bates Motel (Psycho). He said the watch wasn't working, maybe the murder weapon still is sitting on it in the photo :grin:

Regarding the styling, I agree the hands/dial combination isn't classic, but it does look very period to me. In fact, I think Seiko did some pretty way out west designs for some of the bellmatics. The 6021 for example. if watches were a pair of jeans, a 6021 would defnitely be flares. Thinking of Japanese motorbikes, they were still copying traditional shapes and designs in late 60's early 70's, but in contrast, I think some designs of watches were quite avant garde

#7 ·
Agreed that the marker/hands combination can be viewed as avant garde - maybe I will change my mind in case I find a good blue 4005 :)
I once had a charcoal 4005 with 7010T dial, but the watch was messed up so it had to go...

Best
H

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.